I envied the behaved locks of Taylor Swift and the soft bounce of the curls of Twilight’s Victoria. Before I had my hair permed, I honestly thought having those cute waves were easy. I fantasized about the idea of low-maintenance and “wash and wear” hair. Well, there were days that it happened, like hair was never a problem. But just like straight hair, those waves also require some dos and don’ts. Let me tell you how to care for your curls.
- Don’t shampoo your hair every day. Although it good hygiene asks to have your hair washed daily, it is not wise to do it with curly hair. Washing removes the natural oil in the scalp and hair, which will make the hair dry and frizzy. Curly hair needs more moisture. Hair should be washed only two to four times a week. Instead, you can apply conditioner on the days that hair is not washed.
- If you do wash your hair, choose the right shampoo and conditioner that works best on your hair. Something that leaves you feeling good. When you condition your hair, apply conditioner from the root all the way to the tips. Never apply too much because it can leave the hair too greasy. Don’t forget to deep condition your hair at least once a week to keep it moisturized. Garnier Fructis Fortifying Deep Conditioning was chosen by a huge number of females. Most observed that their hair has become more tamed, smooth and “revived”.
- Remember that flat irons and curling rods just damage your locks and leaves your hair dry and frail.
- Cut off the split ends. You may choose to either trim our hair yourself or let your hairstylist do it.
- Your new BFF is your wide-toothed comb. This type of comb detangles your hair without breaking your hair. Comb your hair while it is still wet. I was told that if you have curly hair, you really don’t need a comb. Just use your fingers to style your hair.
- Do not towel dry your hair. While in the shower, squeeze the water out and just wrap your hair with the towel for about 10 minutes. Then air-dry.
- If you need to use hair products, apply them while the hair is damp. Curling mouse and gels gives hair more definition. Try Wella Curl Booster or Pantene Pro-V Curly Hair Series Satin Hold Hair Spray.
- I was told that if you have curly hair, you really don’t need a comb. Just use your fingers to style your hair. Do the styling by scrunching it some more and twirl your hair around your finger.
- Natural curly locks or not, embrace your waves! They make you look elegant, bubbly and sexy. They suit in all styles and dresses.